Monday, May 31, 2021

I have to live with myself

I have to live with myself.

I have had a number of opportunities lately to steal from people.  I didn't do it.  I was raised by Lutherans and I just can't do it.

I paid for groceries with a $50 bill.  The woman gave me change for $100.  I very quietly pointed out her error.  She was very grateful.

A man came to the house to buy a $60 item.  He was older and gave me two twenties and a $50 bill.  I pointed it out to him.  He was appreciative.  I told him that I had to live with myself.  He said that he did too.

I was a guest at a club.  When I was leaving I stopped by the men's room.  As a decoration in the men's room they had a bunch of hats.  One stuck out as particularly attractive.  I put it on.  I thought, I could just take this.  But then I thought about how I would feel every time that I wore it.

When I was a kid I stole a plastic hand grenade from the Ben Franklin Five and Dime store on Wornall Road.  I couldn't play with it because I didn't want my mom to know where it came from.  A few weeks later when we returned to the store, I put it back.  I was 8 years old.  I have to live with myself.

A few weeks ago I sold an item for $125.  When the guy came to buy it he only had $115.  It seemed like an honest mistake on his part, or was it a scam?  I didn't care.  I let him have it for $115.  Thirty minutes later he was back at the front door.  He had gone to the ATM and got some cash.  He said, "you know, things in my life are going really well right now and I don't want to mess with that karma."

Whatever you think or don't think about karma, I think it is true that what goes around, comes around.  What you give to others, will eventually return to you.  Cast your bread upon the waters and it will return to you.

We have a choice every day to take from others or to invest in the world in a constructive manner.  I don't know about you, but I choose to make the decisions that are good for my soul and good for the world.  

On second thought, I do know about you.  If you are reading this, you probably have very similar stories.

It's a beautiful, memorable day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am leading a River Cruise to Belgium and the Netherlands March 19-27, 2022.  If you are interested in reading about the trip or joining in, the link is below.

http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/files/uploads/RC22_031922T_TulipTime_002_FINAL-1.pdf

Click here for the brochure




No comments: