Saturday, May 15, 2021

If you could hear how you sound

If you could hear how you sound. 

When I was young my mother would say that to me.  Evidently I had a bad tone of voice. As I grew older I would think "mother, if you could hear how you sound."  But I could never say it, that would result in a slap across the face.

How we say something is as important if not more important than what we say.  We can just blurt something out and deliver our information or we can think about how we carry ourselves. We can look for ways to phrase a thing or explain a thing that is less difficult and less hurtful. 

We don’t have to deliver a zinger to someone because of some misfortune or some perceived slight. 
  • We had to wait too long for a table - zinger.  
  • Someone said something that we didn’t like - zinger.  
  • I don’t like the way this is going - zinger.

Or instead of zingers we can deliver kindness. People matter and our tone of voice says a lot about whether we are delivering selfishness to them or love. 

Do you know how you sound?

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: