Friday, September 15, 2023

forgiveness

For some reason, I thought of this story the other day.

Mercer First UMC

It was sometime in June 1991.  It was to be my first Sunday as the new pastor in Princeton and Mercer, Mo.  We had spent Saturday night in Olathe and had planned to drive up in the morning.

Well, I guess that I misjudged the distance and the time to get there.  This is long before GPS.  This is before cell phones even.  Anyway, the horse and wagon took a while to get there.

Church service at Mercer was to start at 9:30.  I guess it did start at 9:30.  It started without the new preacher.  Well at 9:45, we pulled in and I opened the church door.

Now you have to get this picture.... Mercer is one of those churches where you open the door, and you are in the sanctuary.  There is no buffer.  Open the door and there they are, God and everyone!!

When that back door opened, the wind, the leaves, and an
embarrassed preacher are there for all to see.

I was so embarrassed, and everyone could tell.  But you know, those lovely people turned and smiled at me.  They welcomed me.  I walked right up to the front and started the sermon.  That was day one of three beautiful years.

Forgiveness and grace are beautiful things.  Give them out whenever you can.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: