Friday, September 29, 2023

Inner Voice

I have to tell you about last Thursday morning.

I woke up late at 8:20 AM. I slept for over 10 hours. I didn’t even set an alarm because my first appointment wasn't until 9 AM. I never sleep that long. Cathy had to wake me up. What a great start it was to get that much sleep!

So breakfast with my sister and her husband was the first order of the day. We had a lovely time catching up. My sister is recovering from lung surgery and it was great to see them.

As I drove around that morning, I was listening to a podcast about how we think, and they were talking about intuition, about listening to your inner voice. The podcaster said that the correct inner voice is the one that’s always positive, always loving and is always expansive. I love that thought. We don't have to listen to negative internal voices.

So I took a good look inside my heart and asked myself what I should do... I stopped by the dollar tree to buy some chocolate for my plane flight next week. I always give it to the flight attendants - but you know that. I was near the Veterans thrift store. The inner voice suggested I go there, so I did. I have a friend that volunteers there. Well, she wasn’t there, but I had a wonderful look about the thrift store. I live in Vero Beach where a lot of retired folks go and pass on into eternity. Consequently a lot of their very nice stuff is ending up in thrift stores. If you are ever in Florida where a lot of well-to-do retired people live [I’m not one of them] Be sure to visit the thrift stores. I saw some really cool stuff there.


Then I listened to the inner voice and it suggested that I go by to visit Bob Tuttle. Bob was a seminary professor of mine. He is now experiencing some dementia. I had stopped by on Sunday and no one was there. I thought, "oh I could see him another time." But the truth is, we never know if you’re gonna be able to see that person another time or not. So I was determined to stop and see him. He was home and his sister was visiting. There was a caretaker there and the four of us had an absolutely marvelous visit. I walked away from that visit so happy and so filled.

Then I called my friend Bruce. I needed some advice on buying a Mustang from my sister in California. I have to figure out how to get it from California to Florida. I priced the transport trucks and they were much more expensive than I thought. I talked to Bruce about maybe flying out with me and driving it back. I was in a quandary about what to do. He told me that he was looking forward to, and excited about spending the time together those days. So now I have a cross country trip planned and it’s giving me something to look forward to.

This is a random story about a random day. I don’t know if these stories means anything to anyone but I would say this... listen to your inner voice. You may not always get another chance to visit that old friend. Listen for the love, listen for the kindness, listen for the positivity in the true inner voice.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: