Saturday, September 23, 2023

Levity

Recently I have had a couple of readers suggest that my blog needs a little more levity.  A little more humor.  A little more joy.

Ok, I am going to work on that, at least for today's post.

Let's laugh at me today...

True story:  I was out of town for 3 weeks.  I missed 3 or 4 Sundays of church.  Last Sunday, my first Sunday back, a new person was sitting in my seat.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I felt the angst that so many people  have described over the years.  

That particular seat is on the end, it is the correct distance back, it is right by that post, and it is next to my favorite stained glass window.   The one of Jesus loving the sheep.  It is two rows back of Coach and his wife.  It is just down from Essie and Lisa.  This is why this is my favorite seat.  I have sat in it for years.  But evidently not today.

I realize the humor of this moment.  For 30 plus years of ministry I asked people to make room for others and get over themselves.  But today, I have to ask myself to do the same.

I remember the first Sunday that we were at Cape Coral First UMC and my wife unknowingly sat in someone's regular seat.  When they arrived, they made it clear that she was in their spot.  How embarrassed they were later when the new preacher, me, introduced his wife!

Anyway, it was a great Sunday and I got a new perspective on things from a different seat.  I survived.  And honestly, I hope our visitor comes back!


It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

- - - - - - - - - -

I am leading a trip to Ireland October 15-24, 2024.
click here for the brochure
If you have questions, feel free to email me at jsbrink57@gmail.com

No comments: