Tuesday, February 6, 2024

a good, a better human being

A few weeks ago, I said to someone,  "I am working very hard at being a good human being."  They asked for me to elaborate on that statement. So, here we go...

I would probably point out that there are lots of humans who consider themselves a finished product.   I do not think of myself this way.  I think one of the best qualities that we offer one another is the awareness that we don't have it all figured out.   When I had employees, I always tried to help them understand that they had the ability and the permission to question me.  I am not always right.  When they did question what I was doing, we always got better...

Something else that I think we can do to work on being a good human being is to work on love. To think on love, to practice love, and to give love, every chance that we can.

Finally I would add that it is very easy in this life to simply react to what happens around you. This can often lead to the worst of us coming out.  I think that being a good human includes working on the practice of responding instead of reacting,  or acting instead of reacting.   To learn to take a step back when we don't like something, take a deep breath, count to ten, and ask yourself who you are and who you want to be, say a prayer, get centered, then act.  Act out of the best of who you are. When we do this, things usually go better.

Working on being a better human being is a life long endeavor.  I hope that everyone engages the journey.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

- - - - - - - - -

I am leading a trip to Ireland October 15-24, 2024.
click here for the brochure

If you have questions, feel free to email me at jsbrink57@gmail.com

No comments: