Thursday, February 15, 2024

Pray for my city

I saw it on the news last night and so did you.  I immediately thought of my pastor friends who were in the middle of Ash Wednesday services.  The tears that were flowing down the faces of the members, and down the faces of the pastors as people came forward in those solemn tragic moments.  

A day that was supposed to hold reverence, ashes and remembrance of the sacrifice of Jesus was broken by gunfire.

And a day that was to mark the celebration of a great sports achievement was marked by tragedy... tens of thousands of Kansas City fans went down to the Union Station area to celebrate the Chief's Super bowl win.

And then there were gun shots.  What is wrong with people?  WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?

And so Children's Mercy, Truman and St Luke's hospital [where I was born] are today caring for gunshot victims.

In the days and weeks ahead I will hear stories from my friends who fled with their families.  In the days ahead we may find a motive.  

I don't know how to make sense of any of this... but I ask you to join with me in praying that somehow we can learn to stop this hatred.

No comments: