Wednesday, November 18, 2009

the light

The light at the end of the tunnel. I saw it for a moment yesterday.

Something happens to your kids when they turn 14. They won't kiss you goodbye anymore. They roll their eyes all the time. Overnight you, the parent, has turned into a total nerd.

As a parent, you cannot fight this. It is going to happen to you. They pull away. They won't talk to you like they used to. They have some things to figure out.

It is tough. It is painful. For years people have told me that this period will end. That I will be smart again, one day. Just hang on, and the aliens that have been inhabiting our kids will depart.

Yesterday, for a moment, I saw the light at the end of the tunnel.

I received a phone call from one of the kids. "Hey, Dad. What's up. Don't want anything. Just hope you are having a good day." Strange. What is going on? Later I get a text from the same Brinkman caterpillar: "it's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good." [now this is a secret code from this kid to me......hey Dad I read your stuff and I am getting it.]

I fall on the floor. Chest pains. Last straw. Something is wrong with this kid. Find kid later in the day and discuss said communication. There is no explanation. Just wanted to say those things to Dad.

Wow. Is it possible? Am I becoming acceptable again? A glimmer of hope. A flicker of light.

It is a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

chigger farmer said...

That is so cool!

Anonymous said...

If we only had a crystal ball, huh . . . to be able to know they will come back around and hear those birds . . . life is good! :)