Saturday, January 23, 2010

the dog house

The dog house is that place where husbands go when they are in trouble. It is worse than the couch. The couch usually just lasts for a night, while the dog house may go on and on indefinitely. Yesterday, I got out of the dog house. I had been in the dog house since Christmas, so it was about time.

I don't know about other guys, but I can get into the dog house for all sorts of things. If we run out of dog food, I am in the dog house. If the grass is not mowed, I am in the dog house. I may even be in the dog house for something that I do not know, although I am supposed to know.

This time, I have been in the dog house because the Christmas lights are supposed to come off of the house on Dec 26th. Every year, Dec 26th. No exceptions. Christmas is over, lets get the stuff off of the house immediately, she says. Everyday that I go without getting the lights off of the house, I am in the dog house.

Now, I hate to stick up for myself, but it has been cold. Really cold. We have had a foot of snow on the ground. And, I have been busy, I have a job you know. Mostly I wish someone could explain to this woman that Christmas lights are supposed to stay up until January 6th. Have you heard of the 12 days of Christmas? They go from Dec 25th to January 6th. 12 days, beginning with Christmas and ending with Epiphany, January 6th.

So she wants the lights down on the first day of Christmas, and I am in the dog house every day until they come down. Well, yesterday afternoon, January 22nd, I got the lights down. Now I am out of the dog house, until she finds another reason.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHAT? Don't you remember that sentence you repeated in your wedding vows that said, "for better or worse, for in the doghouse or out of the doghouse?" Come on! And oh yes, don't get too comfy running around the house free. Free is fleeting for puppydogs.

And while you're running around the house freely, check to see whether you remembered to buy the new suitcase this week.

Our outdoor Christmas lights are still up, mostly due to all the cold and snow. But they are great reminders that Christmas is every day of the year.

Now behave yourself this week. Dog houses are confining.

Unknown said...

Epiphany doesn't happen til Jan. 6.
While in Spain I found that they celebrate Christmas at church. But, on Jan. 5 they celebrate 3 Kings Eve...with big parades and the 3 kings at the end of the parade on a big float. They set up and the kiddos sit in the 1 of the 3 kings lap and make gift request. (yes, 1 of the kings was black..yeah!). The next morning on 3 Kings Day they do the gift thing.
Keep the lights up til 1-6..joy

Anonymous said...

I think you are doing great! Not only are our lights still up, but I passed a house that still had the Christmas tree up. It's fun putting it up, but such a drag getting it all down and put away. Thanks for sharing....it makes some of us feel so much better. I think you deserve a treat!

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

What a joke! I would never let my wife put me in the doghouse!

Signed,

Anonymous

Fern said...

Three words -- "Custom Christmas Lighting." They put 'em up, they take 'em down -- a win-win situation. Fern

Anonymous said...

Does your wife realize how very fortunate she is if the thing that gets her husband in the doghouse is not taking down the Christmas Lights?!?!?

Sharon said...

It's possible I'm wrong, but I'm thinking that the content of this blog might have just put you back in the dog house. I'm just saying...

Anonymous said...

This is simple. Just redesignate the lights. The lights and decorations in the house are Christmas decorations. The lights outside the house are "winter" lights. They come down when winter's over.