Saturday, January 2, 2010

things that go bump in the night

I am wide awake. Every winter we have these loud cracking, booming noises in the middle of the night. All I can think of what they are is that it is the house settling or expanding and contracting as the extreme cold of outside encounters the dwelling that is heated to 68 degrees.

Does this happen at your house or am I crazy? Don't answer the crazy part.

Anyway, it is kind of fun to be wide awake at 4am, keeping watch over the random noises of the house. It is the quiet time in the morning when no one wants anything and you are left with your own thoughts and the contemplations of the soul.

I was writing to a friend earlier and I used the word "metaphysics." Woo. Look at me. Metaphysics. The science or study of that which goes beyond physics. Who are we? Why are we here.

The older I get, the simpler I find this very complex topic to be. What ever you believe about life, love, the soul, eternity, it all boils down to one thing. We are here to be conduits of God's love. To receive it, and to then dispense it. To collect and distribute. To gather and then disperse. I know when I am receiving it and then giving it away, I am happy. To the core, I am happy. When I am not doing this, life is goofed up.

I meet with people all the time that ask me about the purpose of their lives. I always answer the same. Receive the love of God, and then give it away. Everything else comes after that or is subservient to that.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

H4EO said...

"conduit"

Matthew 13:11-12 tells me that everyone who embraces this knowledge of the Kingdom will recieve an increasingly abundant flow.

Nurturing the desire to distribute God's love opens me to recieve Spirit, and heals me first. This fulfils the prerequisite implied by "Love your neighbor as yourself".

You mentioned the other day that love is generated by the lover - the One who loved us first.

If my relationship with creation is a coduit, only the source is exalted.

Just thinking out loud - Thanks for being there

Anonymous said...

Yes, I heard them, too; only they weren't of your house but ours. Ha!

Actually, I have always thought the lake makes eerie sounds when it is frozen like it is now...and that is to what I attribute the eerie noises here. I'm sure the ice does "bump in the night!"
M.A.