Sunday, January 10, 2010

the healing power of Sunday

Sometimes there are those days. Days when you wake to frozen pipes, dog barf and cars that won't start. Maybe you laid awake for an hour wondering where a kid was that missed their curfew. [O no, not me!]

These are days when we just want to sleep a little longer. These are days when the dog might get kicked. These are days when we don't "feel" like going to church.

In my life, I have found that if I allow myself to fall further into such feelings, then they just take hold. If on the other hand, I get up and get busy, the positive side of my brain comes back to life.

I don't have the luxury of sleeping in when Saturday night is a poo. I still have to get up and go. But I will tell you, every time without fail that I have struggled on Sunday morning, by 8am, I am healed. And that is because of you.

I see your faces. I feel your hearts. They joy of your presence makes a difference for me. I am healed.

This will probably work for any of you that are having a slow start. Go ahead, get up, get a move on, and get to church. See if the joy of God's family doesn't put the smaller issues of life in perspective.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Oh man--you've got me "freaking out" again. I just wrote on my wall at Facebook that I was having a hard time deciding which church service to attend today because I was in a "funk". Before I got out of bed, I was thinking of not going at all. I've got some mysterious pain in my stomach and pain in my hip that I recognize, so staying home sounded like a good idea. NOT NOW!! Not after reading your blog and getting that "spooky" feeling again. You have a way of doing that that's so eery.

I'll be there soon--don't know which service, but I'll be there!

Anonymous said...

Being at church each Sunday always does wonders for me! I mean that truly! Regardless of how I may or may not be feeling, I always feel more guided and encouraged and refreshed after being there. It isn't just the people, either. It's so much more. It is a place like no other. God is truly present and working at WCC!

Sorry to hear about the loss of the pastor in New Orleans. I'm sure her age hit home with you, too. Hard to understand, as you said. Doing so much good and then gone...taken by pneumonia.

I struggle with the last statement in the scripture this morning...always have, but you shed much light on it and gave me new perspective and new ways to look at it.

Wonderful to see so many at the 11:15 this morning. I think everyone, including me, was ready to "fly the coop" after feeling so caged in during the repeated snow storms...one right after the other.

Appreciate you and all the wonderful people sharing God's ministry, love, and grace...to, quite literally, people throughout the world. I love our church and I'm so thankful to be a small part of its ministries.

Mary Ann

Anonymous said...

Yesterday was a day I looked forward to for several weeks! New sunday school classes were starting, new day, etc. but yesterday ended up being something very cool! Got to go see Dr. Zan Holmes. Man who narrated the Disciple 1 series. But the much bigger picture for me was...I got to spend time with family and some dear friends all day sunday and sunday evening. Yes Sunday as a whole was a day of healing. I saw the power of Gods love! Thats what mattered the most!
Greg Oehring

Anonymous said...

The video and song yesterday about our city REALLY touched me. Pictures and music stick in mind. I am going to do better at giving myself away this year. Thanks to whoever put it together!

And your blog is so perfect . . . you think the teenagers in our lives are mature enough to read it and feel the same?? . . . if only :)

kb