Friday, January 8, 2010

Snow, still



Well, I can barely see the house anymore. I hope that spring comes soon so that we can find my daughters car.

Speaking of cars, I remember when I was in college in Springfield in 1977-78 and 78-79, we had some really bad winters. I remember so much snow and cold weather. None of the college student's cars would start for a month. We tried everything. We jumped them. We put in new batteries. We even pushed my '73 Vega and i popped the clutch. It was so cold that the viscosity of the oil reduced it to sludge. The pistons would not move in their cylinders.

Those winters, I rode my bicycle to work. It was an old beater with knobby tires. I rode it ten blocks in a foot of snow to cover my shifts at the self service gas station where I worked.

I can remember watching the clock at the bank on Glenstone St. It had the time and temperature. I was so excited when one day the temperature got above freezing, because I knew that the snow was going away. Finally.

This snow will go away too. Thank God.
It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good, if you can see out your door that is.

2 comments:

Janet said...

I remember January, 1979 quite well. I was pregnant with Michael due in April and Angie had a broken leg. So if we went outside I had to carry her. Walt was skiing in Colorado and I couldn't get out of the driveway. I had to go to the doctor so I would go out every so often and shovel a little more. But everytime I did the snowplow trucks would come around and cover my drive. Did I mention that I was pregnant!!! Finally, Fred Smith, my neighbor came over on his little tractor with a blade and shoveled me out. Yeh, Fred. I've never forgotten and I have always remembered the snow of '79.

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! I thought I had a lot of snow piled up!! You WIN that CONTEST!!! Your right....Spring is just around the corner...It will go away soon...I HOPE!
Last time I saw this much snow...winter 85-86, I was stationed at Ellsworth AFB., So. Dakota. The snow started early November, did not stop for over a month. By the time it did we had a couple of feet of snow.