Tuesday, February 16, 2010

1.5 million people

Last night I watched a movie that was set in a town [Quito, Ecuador] population 1.5 million people. At the end of the movie, there was a panoramic view of the city and you saw these small, simple homes where people live next to each other and on top of each other. The houses went on and on and on. It reminded me of the slum scenes in the movie "Slum Dog Millionaire," except everything was nicer.

As I saw this enormous town with all of these people crammed into such a small space, I was overwhelmed with the feeling that reaching the world is impossible. I am one person. The world is so immense. Why even try. Just live and let them live. Let the chips fall where they may.

Then I thought about how our life perspective changes when we only think of ourselves, and I do not want to live that way. I want a life paradigm that cares about others, whether I can help all of them or not. That is how I want to live my life. Trying to help others, even if we can't help them all.

I was reminded of a quote from the sermon a few weeks back that went something like this, "don't fail to do something, just because you can't do everything."

And so, if God gives us the day today and tomorrow, we must reach out and care. We must be the voice, the hands and the feet of Christ to every person that we can. We can't reach them all maybe, but we can reach some for sure, and life sure feels better when I am trying.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: