Sunday, February 21, 2010

No Robe

Well, a couple people asked so I guess I will provide an answer as to why I did not wear my ministry robe on Ash Wednesday.
As a rule, I have never been one to wear a ministry robe. I have one, and I know that some people see it as somehow "respecting God" but I have always felt that it attracted attention to me. I have always felt that a robe somehow made others feel that I was "set apart, other than, different from, even better than." That is not my model of ministry and I don't think it was Jesus' way either.

Consequently, I have not been a robe person. I have in the past made one exception, and that was on Ash Wednesday. Ash Wednesday has a very formal feel to it to me. A very holy, special time, so I have in the past worn my robe. [some joked when they saw me that they bet I was wearing shorts underneath the robe.]

This year, for the first time, I did not. Why? Well, here is why: it occurred to me that none of our associates have robes or wear robes and I don't want to set myself apart from them or make them feel funny. So this year, no robe for Ash Wednesday. I hope you understand.

[by the way, we are having church today. of course! First church of the Yukon at WCC is open. Park your sleds and snowmobiles and come on in.]

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I REALLY wanted to come to church today, but am listening to my inner voice and staying home. I am just so afraid of falling. So, I am home, but my heart is at WCC. Betty

Anonymous said...

Thanks for being you, Jeff. I'm inclined to agree with you about the robe. I've been to churches where the pastor has worn a robe and not worn a robe. I like it better without a robe.