Thursday, February 4, 2010

Concrete

Concrete is very hard. You may not usually think of concrete as being really hard. When I walk on it, I really don't think about it at all. However, if you ever have the opportunity to fall on it, say, if you had a full head of steam, running from the bad guys, and you fell on it, well, then it would be pretty clear that concrete is really hard.

Such was my experience yesterday. As you may know, we have some troubles at church from time to time with near-do-wells. Yesterday, I got a call from someone who wanted to meet me. So I am out in the parking lot talking to them, and they ask for money. Ask, in a way that made me take a step back. Then they stepped toward me. I stepped back. They stepped towards me. Pretty soon, I am in a full run headed for the church door, with the troubled youth in hot pursuit.

Now, I used to have the speed of Jessee Owens, but the years have taken their toll. I know if I can get to the church building though, most people will respect the church as a place of sanctuary. I should be safe if I can just get inside the doors. Well I am bounding up the east sidewalk with the grace that can only be mustered by a 52 year old pastor running from his college age daughter who wants money.

She swears that she did not trip me, but I am sure that I felt her foot sweep my trailing shoe as I was coming up the last stair. She says that I am just clumsy, but she is faster and younger than I am. At anyrate, I hit the ground. Hard. Concrete is hard. Remember? It was a three point landing, both palms and my right knee. Her response to my fall was the kind of snicker that young people sometimes deliver to older folks. She put her foot on my neck, reached into my back pocket and took out the $28 that I had mentioned earlier that I might give to her. Then, she stood to her feet, said, "thanks Dad, I love you," and off she went.

I was left on the deck, broken, bruised and humiliated. Today, I am bloodied and bruised. I really should have a bandaid on my knee, but the bandaids in my office are ten years old and all the stickem has deteriorated.

Let this be a warning to you. If you see one of my daughters, do not be fooled by their wry smile or youthful good looks. They are quick, and they are determined. Hide your $28 and get inside the church. Don't end up like me, broken and crying on the sidewalk. Concrete is hard.

Anyway, it's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

6 comments:

Sharon said...

Dang! You had me so shook up there at the beginning of your story. I'm glad that it was just your daughter who accosted you and not some real criminal! It was a very funny story though, and thanks for the warning about your daughter. Now I've got a little tip for you--throw those old bandaids away!! And the old soap and any other old thing that has now become useless. BTW, have you watched the new TV show, "Hoarders"? I'm thinking you may have passed up "thrifty" some where along the way and now you're headed for your own reality show, "Rat Packing Pastors".

Seriously though, I hope you're okay and not too sore today.

Anonymous said...

Oh, oh, oh, I'm nearly falling out of my chair! I so know this feeling!

Tonia

Anonymous said...

thanks for the laugh of the day!

JanR said...

Jeff,
Is there anything in your office besides you that isn't 10 years old??

Anonymous said...

I've said it before . . . you tell the BEST stories . . . take an average situation (kid asking parent for $$) and give it to JB and see how good of a story it can really become . . . savor this one for your grandkids :) You MUST write a book!

Jeremy V. said...

Is it ok to laugh at someone else's pain? Well I did. That is story is way tooooo funny and you fished me in. See you in a few weeks. Peace, Jeremy