Thursday, February 11, 2010

garage sales

I used to have a garage sale every year. Spend weeks picking things that I wanted to get rid of. Advertise. Put out the signs [fun]. Sit there all day while people come by and try to get you to reduce the price of an already reduced item.

I have a 20" TV that I have priced at $20. Someone asks if I will take $15. I tell them I think it is worth 20. Back and forth we go. I spend the entire morning doing this. Some of the bargaining leaves a bad taste in your mouth. The afternoon is spent sitting there looking at the sky because most of what you had in the sale is already gone. Those shoppers that happen by in the afternoon tend to be drive by's. They don't even get out of the car, they just slow down and look for a moment, then drive on.

The day is done. I pack up the leftovers and take it to the Salvation Army. I take the tables back to who ever I borrowed them from. I count my take= $293.50. I feel happy, and exhausted. Over the next week I will spend the $293.50 buying more things that I will sell in another garage sale in a few years. Hmmm.

Finally, ten years later, I wake up. What am I doing? The TV that I let go for $15 would be worth a fortune to a friend of mine who has immigrated from another country. He could never afford to go to Best Buy and purchase a TV. Why not just give it to him? The chair, table and lamp that I sold for $20 would be valued far more than that by someone in transitional housing in the Hillcrest Ministry program. Do you see where this is going?

The small amount of money I make is nothing compared to the joy that I get to give to others by giving this stuff to them. And I myself receive so much more joy as well. You know, you can't buy joy, but you sure can give it away.

Just in case you were wanting to have a garage sale this year.

On another note, I know someone who just likes to have garage sales. They got a few of their friends from church to hold a multi-family sale. The entire proceeds went to their favorite mission at church.

Random things to think about.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have been cleaning and sorting things around here since the first of the year in preparation for the annual Lakewood Garage Sale. And now you've given me a great idea. I'll still have the dreaded garage sale, but knowing that the proceeds will go to WCC will give it special meaning.

A few days ago I was dreading this upcoming garage sale--now I'm so excited! But, I think I might need more stuff. : )

Anonymous said...

"LIVE TO GIVE"
2 Corinthians 8:7
"But just as you excel in everything--in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in complete earnestness and in your love for us--see that you also excel in this grace of giving."
:)

Fern said...

Thank you for the mention of Hillcrest. I wish everyone could see the excitement in the eyes of the graduating residents when they get to go to the basement and pick out some "new" furniture for their new apartment. We recycle a LOT of furniture!!