Friday, February 5, 2010

books for my kids

Well, each of us have books that we have read in our lifetime that made an impact on us. Besides the Bible, the following books are the main ones on a list of books that I have collected for my children. I have collected three copies of each book so that when they are ready, each of my three children will have a copy of each of these books that have marked my life.

If you should choose to read them, remember that my age at the time of reading, and my life situation probably told volumes of why that book spoke to me at that time.

I’m OK, You’re Ok by Thomas Harris– [first read in 1972 when I was in the 9th grade]

The road less travelled by Scott Peck [read in 1984]

Illusions- by Richard Bach [read in 86]

Holding on to hope by Nancy Guthrie [given to me after my dad died in 2002]

In his steps- by Charles Sheldon [a classic, read in 2004]

When bad things happen to good people by Harold Kushner [read in 2005]

Walking on water by Anthony Demello [read in 2005 and every year since]

Velvet Elvis – Rob Bell [read in 2009]

The Go-getter by Peter Kyne [read in 2010]

I think it is important to try and leave our children some sense of "what makes us tick." I am also working on a list of songs that I have found valuable in my life.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

What an awesome thing to do. Now you just have to hope that they will actually read them. ; )

Anonymous said...

You are a good dad . . . good books, good stories, good music . . . and taking the time to share it . . . nice job!