Thursday, July 29, 2010

entitlement

I am entitled to that. I deserve it. I want it. It should be mine.

Our country promises us life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Interesting that they put the word "pursuit" in there. No guarantees. No entitlement.

Over the years we have come to define happiness as "having more stuff." Entitlement is a disease that I see in the teenager who wants their parents to buy them an I-phone. I see it in Lindsey Lohan. Unfortunately, I occasionally see it in myself. In fact, it is probably there, within me, more often than I do actually see it.

The Christian faith does not promise us stuff. It does promise us a relationship, the results of which are love, joy, peace, patience, etc. Hope in this life and a place in God's heavenly home. But the joy of the heavenly home is not about the idea of a mansion, it is about being with God for eternity. Relationship. With God. Brings joy.

What are you pursuing in your life? What are you after? What do you expect to make you happy? What are you investing your time, talent and treasure in? Are those things letting you down? And Jesus says, "come unto me, all you who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: