Thursday, July 8, 2010

a story to share

This was written the other day by a friend. I thought this was worth sharing.
Peace,
Lion's Den Man

Another Independence Day

Another Independence Day has come and gone. This one seems to have a little more meaning to me. My wife and I got to spend some time with our good friends and their kids. After a long night of fun and fireworks we headed home looking forward to sleeping in on Monday morning. The dog awoke at 5:30AM to go out and we lay down on the sofa and curled up together. It was not long before I was dreaming of a time years ago.

I was on the couch sleeping but not with a dog by my side, it was my son. He was pretty small then maybe 3 or 4 and sound asleep. I reached over to wake my innocent child and he instantly went into the full body stretch that starts with the extension of the toes and ends with the arch of the back and the arms above the head. As a small sound escaped from his lips which indicated the success of the full body stretch he opened his eyes and a smile came across his face with the recognition of a loved one - his Dad. He started talking in that little boy voice that I had not heard in many years.

I suddenly awoke on the couch with my dog still by my side. Happiness, sadness, worries, longing - all of these emotions were running through me as I tried to remember and hold onto the scene that just played out in my dream.

I can’t remember what he said but I still feel the love shared by a smile between a Dad and his Son. You see my son is not here anymore. He is a long ways away. I miss him so. I long for the day to hold him close to me and tell him he is loved. One day I know I will get to do that.

As I mentioned earlier this Independence Day has more meaning to me. I have a better understanding of what families go through as their loved ones serve our country. My son is serving our country and is stationed half way around the world. I do miss him. I worry for him and I want him and his buddies to be safe. I look forward to the day that he comes home so I can hug his neck and tell him face to face how proud I am of him.

We should remember in prayer the men and women of our Armed Forces both past and present who gave of themselves so we can live in this great nation of ours. Before my son went into the military I never thought much about the sacrifices that have occurred that I might have a life here in the United States. That has all changed now.

We also have a God who gave a great sacrifice of his Son Jesus Christ for all of us to have everlasting life. I look forward to the day that God puts his arms around me and tells me how proud he is of me. There is something about a Father’s love!

Fisher of Men

No comments: