Wednesday, July 14, 2010

grace alone

Last night I was at the grocery store and I ran into a friend from church. He said, "good sermon Sunday." I didn't remember seeing him on Sunday. He said, "yes I wasn't there, but I listened to the sermon on the web site."

He got a tear in his eye and he said, "gosh I miss church when I am not there, I so miss singing the song 'Grace Alone.' " Crying in the grocery store. I love it.

I was so pleased to see that he was touched by that song because I am touched by it too. I am glad to know that he feels this way about his church, even when he is not there. I always tell people that i love our church, but I am of course a bit prejudiced.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ditto!! We also were not able to be there Sunday. I always feel like my week only had six days in it when this occasionally happens. There is no place I'd rather be on Sunday than at Woods Chapel. A real tribute to those who've worked years to build this kind of atmosphere.

BBass said...

I too love that song Grace Alone. When I started coming to WCC I could not sing that song, the words stuck in my throat, but I loved it. My grandson had passed away at 6 weeks old, the words to that song got me every time, "grace alone which God provides." It took me months and months to be able to sing that song outloud and now I not only sing the words, I feel them. It's my favorite part of the service (and not because you are done preaching Jeff).

Sharon said...

I just got home from vacation last night, so this morning is the first chance I've had to read your blogs. Next time I take my laptop--mornings are not the same without your blog.

This blog about the song "Grace Alone", shouted at me. My friend and I attended church on Sunday in Tarpon Springs, FL. It was a beautiful church, everyone was extremely friendly, the pastor was good, but there was no sermon this day--it was "youth Sunday". We were both moved by what the young people had to say. But, at the end of the program, there was no Grace Alone. They sang a different song and it was good--we sang along. But it just wasn't Grace Alone--we really missed that.