Wednesday, February 23, 2011

closing the mouth

My Dad used to say it: "Son, you don't know when to close your mouth. Sometimes the best thing to do is just to shut up." [sorry for using the shut up words, I don't like them, but that's what was said.] Anyway, I did not understand why he would say this until years later.

Back then, I wanted to tell what I knew. I wanted to say something important. I thought i was right, and maybe I was, but me speaking at that time, just didn't help anything. Sometimes when we open our mouths, even when we are right, we only make things worse. Sometimes the right thing to do is to just sit it out and let someone figure it out.

I took three years of french in high school. One of the few phrases that I remember from my teacher, Miss Robinson, is "ferme la bouche" [close the mouth.] Sometimes, it is good advice, and I probably need to remember it more often. How about you?

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, yes. I will say I'm better than I used to be, but I still have a ways to go.

Tonia