Saturday, February 19, 2011

stress mgmt

Someone asked about dealing with stress. How does Jeff deal with stress? What are some tools that might help us?

First, lets just agree that we are all going to have stress. It is not a sin and a person should not feel guilty about it. Stress reminds us that we are alive. It reminds us that we have some opportunities before us. Stress reminds us that "it isn't about me."

When I feel stress I do many different things. I go for a walk. I find a quiet place and holler. I engage in behavior that I find soothing. Oddly enough, for me, something that I find soothing is painting. Not like painting a picture, more like painting a room or painting the house. But for you it could be something else- what is your hobby? Playing the guitar? Be sure when you feel stress to do so. Something else that I do to relieve stress is work in the yard.

I also pray. I pray for the situation. I find a quiet place to sit in God's presence. I also pray for myself, that I can find a better place in my brain. If you hear what I am saying, sometimes, many times, for me, the stress comes to an end when I realize that I have the wrong perspective about the situation. When I can learn to see others as God does, often, my stress with them goes away and my heart is returned to a state of love.

Ultimately, the great philosophers tell us that we need to release ourselves from the desire to control everything. That is why Jesus told his followers not to worry. When I finally get it thru my head that I cannot control the financial stress in my home or the actions of a child or the behavior of a person, I start to relax. You know, it just is what it is. I can't fix it, and me worrying about it isnt going to change anything. Sometimes you just have to make friends with the pain. You have a bad boss. You made a mistake. You aren't treated fairly. Neither was Jesus. Lets move on.

Having said that, sometimes I resolve stress by solving the problem. By working harder, by visiting with the person that is angry. By talking something thru. By reading something. Sometimes, given a few days, the stress wears off. Sleep takes it away.

When none of that works, I cry, yell and pray.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Jeff. Profound, meaningful, and helpful, just as I might have expected.

Anonymous said...

Jeff gets stressed? whoda thunk? ;-)