Friday, February 25, 2011

my family

Yesterday I found out something interesting. I have been reading through the memoirs of my grandmother's sister. I knew that they lived in a mansion on Armour Road in Kansas City- near 35th and main. Yesterday I read something interesting about their life.

In 1910, my great grandfather was worth 2.5 million dollars. How much is that today? The family had six cars and eight servants. They spent the summers at a resort in Maine. They lived in a hotel the entire summer and spend the days out on their yacht. My great-grandfather actually spent all of the money. All of it.

Now, I do not begrudge the fact that none of this came down to us. I am fine with my life. However, it is a lesson to all of us, that whatever you have, manage it well. Be a good steward. Go to FPU. At the end of the day, each of us will give account for what we have done with the blessings God has given us.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff, I really enjoyed this post. When people put a lot of emphasis on tithing, without mentioning the other 90%, it conjures up two thoughts in my mind.

It' important not to think that we've filled our entire commitment to God when we tithe. Jesus teaches us to give liberally. For each Christian that's a journey of faith, and of following where Christ leads. No one can say how much we should give. Giving also isn't entirely about money. Some people truly don't have any money to live, let alone give.

Secondly, to your point, we are stewards of the other 90%, if we tithe. God wants to be good stewards of all that he gives us, of His resources. We only get to use the money while we're here on earth. It really belongs to him.

Thanks for sharing this. Do you sometimes wish you could have known the ancestors you only get to read about. And do you think they'd be surprised at how the boulevard named for those in the cattle/packing business has changed, if they could revisit the old home place.

Nothing remains the same except God, and his unchanging grace.

Ron Ruisinger Jr. said...

i am always fascinated with people and what their history is all about. being adopted, i consider my parents as the ones that decided to pick and love me; however, i've always in the back of my mind wondered what my biological parents were and what family history they have. I am content and love my mom and dad so this is not something I will ever persue, but I think that is one of the reasons I always post on FB, what is your legacy you are leaving behind. I've not gotten any responses so I wonder if this is just a meaningless thing or something we should think about.