Sunday, February 13, 2011

The more i know

The more that I know, the more I realize that I don't know as much as I thought I did. The more I read about how other's brains work, the more I realize that I am an infant in brain power. I read what others write and I am so touched and impressed. I watch the skills of others and I frequently find myself standing in awe.

The older I get, the quieter I want to be. I just feel like I want to watch what goes on, and talk a little less. I am not as smart as I thought I was.

I am ok with this. I am at peace with this. All of that just makes me want to call out to God and depend on him, rest in him. That I am pretty sure is a good thing.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

H4EO said...

Some circles might call this a new leavel of maturity. The ability to question ourselves releases us from expectations both internal and external. Nurturing the resolve to trust in Christ displays a spiritual maturity many of us strugle with.

Anonymous said...

You are a smart man, of course, but your greatest gift to us has always been and always will be your heart.

Smart people are a dime a dozen and are capable of as much harm as good. Heart people live with the sense of awe that you described. Awe of others. Awe of God.

When we start finding ourselves in awe of others, we know that we are truly seeing them for the first time. How else could we respond to the infinitely Holy creations of God, but to be filled with awe in their presence?

For a little while, I have prayed to know this sense of awe. Maybe now, I am praying just to be able to see creation as it is, bursting with new life around me. To be able to see my spouse. To be able to see my friends. To be able to see the people I don't understand.

I've been only seeing myself for far too long. I am ready to see others.

You're a smart pastor, sure. But I've had plenty of those. What I want is a pastor who hears the birds sing and stops to take a picture.