Wednesday, August 24, 2011

first world problems

First world, second world, third world.  We are most acquainted with the notion of the "third world."  What is the first and second world?

The first world designation refers to the United States and its allies, all highly modern, developed, free countries.  The second world used to refer to our opponents in the cold war, the Soviet Union and its allies of communist countries, all trying to catch up to us in some way or another.

The third world was every other country after that.  Little places around the globe where there was little development and massive human problems.

So what is a first world problem?  A first world problem is anything that annoys us, that the rest of the world would either laugh at or not understand at all.  here are some examples:

"I had to wait 15 minutes to get my Starbucks" first world problem [the rest of the world doesn't have Starbucks]
"gas is $3.40 per gallon" first world problem [the rest of the world pays $6/gallon]
"my daughters car has another problem!" first world problem [most daughters around the world, don't have cars]
"my flight was delayed" first world problem "most of the world will never fly on a plane"
"my mom died at 62" [my mom really did by the way] first world problem [the average life span in Mozambique is 42]
My air conditioning is out.  first world problem.  no explanation needed.

God is a global citizen.  He stands with every human being, every human being, every human being.  Isaiah 66:1 "Heaven is his throne, the earth is his footstool."  Do we live as if every person in the world is our brother and sister?  Isn't it easy to get caught up in our problems, that really are, in the long run, very trivial by world standards?  When I remember this, I get a little bit less worked up when I get a flat tire on my car.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great post, Jeff !

Anonymous said...

Good stuff. Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

puts everything into perspective