Sunday, August 14, 2011

the resurrection

I have a friend that I dearly love who is not sure about the resurrection.  I understand, this is not a normal happening in our lives.  People don't usually die and then come back to life.

However, I am trying to get my mind around the Christian faith without a resurrection.  I have to tell you, I can't do it.  I can't conceive of any way that the faith makes any sense to me without Jesus' resurrection.

If Jesus didn't rise from the dead, there is no way that the disciples would have given their lives for this cause.  There is no way that the early Christians would have put up with the persecution that they faced if they knew Jesus did not rise.  Who makes such sacrifices for something that they know is a lie?  No one does. 

There is only one explanation for the behavior of the early disciples. Only one explanation for their willingness to suffer and die for this faith.

Jesus rose from the dead.

It doesn't make sense and it is not our normal human life experience, but God doesn't live by our rules. 

It is a beautiful day in God's world, and Jesus rose from the grave.  Be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Josh Shepherd said...

I agree with your friend that God doesn't make much sense, and I agree with you that this is Good News.