Wednesday, August 10, 2011

mobility

A few days ago I got on a plane in San Francisco and flew home.  The trip that it took pioneers months to make, I flew half way across the country in a matter of hours. 
One of the great gifts of our country is the gift of mobility.  To be able to cross state lines without being hassled by police.  To be able to travel in and out of the country to visit places or go on mission trips.  These are some of the gifts of a free society. 

Then there is the benefit of modern methods of travel.  To drive.  To fly.  Gosh, it is possible that in the near future, regular people may engage in space travel.  It is hard to imagine.

So much has changed in my life time.  When I was a kid, our cars were worn out piles of junk by 100,000 miles.  Most of our cars were worn out when we got them.  The furthest we went when I was little, was St. Louis, and we drove on 40 highway through every little town, because I-70 did not exist then.  No seat belts, no air conditioner, no cup holders.  AM radio.

Those were the days.  Mobility.  It is the gift of a free society. 

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: