Sunday, August 7, 2011

you will be grieved

I think I was watching the original Superman movie.  Superman's earthly father had died.  At his funeral, Superman [a teenager at the time] said of his father, "you will be grieved."

A few years before my father died, we were talking and I told him that story.  I told him that he would be grieved.  He said it was the nicest thing that anyone could say about him.  Thank you, he said.

I still miss my Dad.  Does that ever end?  One time he told me that he still missed his parents and he was 70 years old! 

There is something about your parents.  They have such an impact on you.  They mark you.  You can't get them out of your head.  They were happy, and you were marked.  They were sad, and you were marked.

It makes me want to work harder to be a good parent.  It makes me want to reach out to my kids and let them know how very much they are loved.

Alli, will you grieve your old man when he is gone?

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right. The title of the beautiful song "Reach Out and Touch" only reminds me that even though my parents, and others to whom I've been extremely close in life, will never be near again, except when I get to heaven. I can never reach out and exchange a hug with them. Sometimes I want to tell them somethng, or ask the something soooooooo bad, and I can't. As my parents aged and became ill, I realized that if there was anything I wanted to ask them, I'd better get busy and do it. Some questions still remain unanswerale. I would love to ask my mother how she chose my name. I would love to ask my mother or dad what they did when songs and thoughts wouldn't leave their head.

Someday.

Anonymous said...

Your parents will always mark you. Even if you have not had the fortunate blessing of having good parents and got stuck with abusive parents. They still mark you. But the challenge you mention still remains the same. To work harder to be a good parent to my kids.