Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Westboro Baptist "church"

I join each of you that are flabbergasted and disgusted by the actions of Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist "church."  Recently a funeral for one of the Navy Seals that was killed in Afghanistan was held at the Church of the resurrection in Leawood.

Adam Hamilton sent out a message and encouraged everyone to ignore the protesters. As always, I found his thoughts to be very helpful.  His message stated the following, "On Wednesday morning The Church of the Resurrection is hosting the funeral for Matt Mason, one of the Navy Seals who died in Afghanistan last week. Several of Matt and Jessica's friends are member of our church and we are honored to serve the family and to make our building, volunteers and staff available to care for them. I will be assisting with the service but the Mason's pastor from San Diego will preach.

We understand that the Topeka "church" that seems to specialize in spreading hurt and hate plans to protest from 135th Street. We've discussed a variety of options for addressing these protesters but in the end we believe that the best approach is to ignore them. They come seeking publicity and attention. We'd rather not give it to them. I'm hoping the media, too, might simply ignore them. They are a very small group that shows up at funerals because it gets them noticed. I wonder how long they would do this if no one paid them any attention.

I am told there are some planning to counter-protest. I would discourage you from participating - it only makes for a bigger media event. The Patriot Guard Riders will be here ensuring the family doesn't see the protester's signs.

Please pray for the Masons and pray for the protesters as Jesus called us to do. Ultimately I think Paul offers us the best response to those who do evil in Romans 12:17-21:

Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all. If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave room for the wrath of God; for it is written, 'Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.' No, 'if your enemies are hungry, feed them; if they are thirsty, give them something to drink; for by doing this you will heap burning coals on their heads.' Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

4 comments:

H said...

The heaping burning coals part does seem to work out that way when placed into practice. I don't believe evil will ever conquer evil.

You told be one time that I could not hate anyone I was praying for. That has proved to be true - and I thank you.

Balance is required and can not be achieved by us alone. Christ talked about pulling weeds and damaging roots.

You spoke Sunday about letting it go and sometimes that is the harder part.

I am glad you are my pastor.

Anonymous said...

wise words

Anonymous said...

Very sound and biblical advice. Jeff, this sounds pretty much like the same exhortation you would have shared with your congregation, if facing the same situation. I liked the idea of focusing on praying for the bereaved family. Phelps cannot take that away

Sharon said...

That was awesome. If ONLY the media could/would ignore events like this. Instead, the media sensationalizes them every time. Most people wouldn't even know about this kind of sick behavior if it weren't for the media. If anyone ever wonders why I seem clueless about some current event, it's because I do not watch any news. Yes, I know there are things I should probably know, but I enjoy being clueless--it makes me happy. ; )