Monday, August 1, 2011

forgetting

I had a professor in seminary, Bob Tuttle.  A brilliant guy who was also so very down to earth and relevant.  He was very popular as a teacher because he helped everyone understand that the Christian faith was accessible to normal people.  He had a knack  of helping you know that God loves you and accepts you just the way that you are.

I thought of him last week because of something he used to say.  He would be referring to someone that he had a great deal of respect for, and he would say that the person "had forgotten more about God than I will ever know."  The point Tuttle was making was that there are some people that are so deep.  Deep in the very best of ways.  People that we want to honor and stand in great appreciation of.  And I also think about all of the things that we forget.  All of us.

forgetting.  I think sometimes that the older we get, the more we tend to forget things that we used to know.  It is sad in a way, because sometimes I think we lose touch with some really valuable things that are in our minds, but just beyond our ability to retrieve them.  But I guess it also keeps us wanting to learn.  At least, I hope it keeps us wanting to read and learn.  To fill our brains back up and regather the things that we have forgotten.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: