Sunday, July 31, 2011

steward your heart

I was listening to a preacher last week talk about the trials and tribulations of growing up and growing older.  Of the things that happen to us and the things that we must face and deal with.

One of the things that he said that stuck out to me was, "you have to learn to steward in every season of your life, your pain, your hurt and your disappointment."

Oh.  that stopped me in my tracks.  I thought- wow, all of these things that I have been facing and complaining about, I have a responsibility to manage my feelings?  And the thought settled in.  of course I do.  Of course it is my responsibility to grasp, hold and at least try to manage the pain and hurt of life.  Other wise, how does one overcome?

If we don't learn to do this, we can easily miss the good in life and become what George Bernard Shaw talked about -

" This is the true joy in life,
the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one;
the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap…  
and being a force of nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod
of ailments and grievance,
complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy."

Managing, stewarding my feelings.  I am thinking about this.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even when everything hurts and you've reached the age called old. It's still a beautiful day in God's world. W.

Anonymous said...

This is such a profound and amazing reminder. The whole concept of managing and stewarding feelings is so important - thanks for holding up the "accountability" mirror.