Wednesday, July 13, 2011

us

I  have always like the comedian, Louie Anderson.  I was reading a bit from one of his books the other day.  He mentioned that he remembered his parents.  He remembered Mom, and Dad and himself, but he did not remember "us."

Something inside of me totally resonates with this.  I remember my Mom and my Dad and my sisters.  But there was never anything together.  There was no "us."  Its not that I don't remember it, it didn't exist.  After Mom died, I barely got started getting to know Dad.  I have been on a quest since that time to get to know and enjoy my sisters.  There ought to be an "us" to families.

I wonder if my children will remember an us.  Will they remember vacations together?  Ski trips? Movies?  Mexican food?  The little pool in the back yard?  Visits to college?  Breakfasts at First Watch?  Mission trips? 

Will they remember an us?  I sure hope so.  As I write this I just want to go find them and tell them I love them.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A new word for the English language - "manyus's" This word was introduced by the Brinkman family. Never to worry Jeff. The us's at yours and Cathy's house are indelible in the kid's brains.

Wishes for blessings as you and your sisters grow the "u" in us.

And you forgot the motorcycle rides at night, with a kid on the back.

Sharon said...

Oh, I don't think you have to worry about your kids remembering an "us". I've seen some of your pics posted on FB--some by you and some by your daughter. I definitely see the "us" in them and I'm sure they do too.

While reading your blog, I thought back to my childhood. My parents divorced when I was 13, so there was some tension during some of our "us" time, but we had plenty of it. I'm grateful that memories of the good times are forefront in my mind.

Thanks for reminding all of us how important "us" time is. ; )

Anonymous said...

Jeff, it has been obvious to all of us that you have been very, very involved in your children's lives. Over and over again, you have provided the "us" you may have not received in your own family growing up.

Your children will always remember those times...vacations together, supporting them in their own activities, family time shared...talking with them, teaching, caring, and loving unconditionally. They will remember...and I'm sure they appreciate those times very much.

I might also comment that the appreciation will grow as they continue to grow into adulthood themselves. Our daughters both reflect on those very important family times that we provided through the years with much appreciation. Ali, Jenny, and Scott will do the same. It means so much! You're a great dad!!!!
M.A.

Anonymous said...

The 'us' part is what I've tried to make sure that my daughter has/had. It's so important.

Tonia

Anonymous said...

I remember us planting trees at the church.

Walt