Friday, July 15, 2011

some things that we just hate

Hate is a strong word.  Maybe too strong.  Dislike.  I don't like spiders and snakes.  Who sang that song?

Well it is true, I don't like spiders or snakes or the New York Yankees.  Most people in Kansas City agree with me.  Those are three things that go together.

But why?  aren't spiders and snakes and important part of the food chain?  And aren't the Yankees nice guys that have wives and children?  Yes and yes.  Then why the strong dislike?

I think it is because there is a fear factor to all three.  Life is going along pretty good and then, up jumps the devil.  Here they are, right in your face.  A crawling spider, a slithering snake, a Bronx Bomber.  Besides the element of surprise, they all three have the ability to hurt you.  Spiders can give a painful and poisonous bite.  Snakes can wrap you up and suffocate you.  Yankees can dash your playoff hopes with the swing of a bat.

It doesn't really change anything for me to understand these things about these scary critters.  I do think it is helpful for us to name our fears from time to time.  When I realize that most spiders are not poisonous and most snakes are not big enough to swallow me, all I have left to fear is the Yankees.  And maybe someday, the tables will turn and their fans will fear the Royal blue of Kansas City.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

O.K. Jeff, you're secret's out. You're a little bit country and a little bit rock and roll. Jim Stafford.

Anonymous said...

I HATE spiders!

-from 'guess who'

Anonymous said...

Add to your Yankees fear. My uncle is a Yankees pitching scout and I go to Woods Chapel. We'e closer then you think.