Monday, July 25, 2011

thinking and believing

I was talking to Shawn the other day.  The topic of "what makes a Christian" came up.  Is a Christian someone that thinks about Jesus?  Is a Christian someone who believes something about Jesus, or believes in Jesus?

Or is a Christian someone that lives a certain way because of what they think or believe?  If I think or believe about Jesus long enough, do I start spending my time differently?  Do I begin to look at others differently?  Do I finally realize that I can't take it with me, and start listening to God's direction about "my" stuff?

If the primary mark of the Christian is love [my preacher keeps saying that] then can I live a life of love by only thinking or believing?  Or does love compel action?

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Christianity may best be defined as a single relationship, with multiple manifestations.

Josh Shepherd said...

As soon as we think we've become Christians, we're in trouble. We are ever becoming Christians by ever following Jesus through grace alone.

That's why I start getting awfully squirmy when we start talking about steps to being a Christian and processes. We don't have a process; we have a Person. And the best we can do as a community is identify shared practices that look a whole lot like this Person we read about and come to know through the Spirit. (Like tipping our servers generously.)

Let us not think we can arrive, but about how to journey together.