Tuesday, July 19, 2011

why do they like me?

Sometimes I ask this question, of my friends, and of my wife:  Why do they like me?  It's not that I am a bad guy or that I have secrets that should cause them to not like me.  So what is that question about?

I wonder if I, as most or many people, have a deep seated fear of being unloved.  It's not based in anything real, and I guess I am as lovable as the next person, but the feeling remains.  Is it a hold over from childhood?  Wondering if I am worthy to be picked up and held by my parents? 

Why do I think that I have earned someone's rejection?  I deserved it.  But I struggle to capture the fact that maybe someone can just love me because they do.

I love that thought about God.  That he loves us.  He just does.  Not because we are nice or good looking or well behaved.  He just loves us.  That is cool and it gets me smiling.

Maybe this funny feeling is an appreciation of their love.  Maybe as I witness the kindness of people, I am just amazed at their God like loving behavior.  The fact that they love me is just amazing to me.  I am grateful for it.  I hope you are grateful for all those that love you.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

6 comments:

Sharon said...

Are you kidding? What's not to love about little old you? ;)

Seriously though, I do know what you're talking about. But I think the reason why you're loved and so many other people that you and I know are loved is because they/we are good people. We're shining in the light of God's love and that appeals to others.

I think where we run into problems is when we put more emphasis on being loved by someone other than God--like His love is not enough. I think we've all been there--we need to hear someone say it or get that big hug. It's only human to want that and it is good.

I really don't know how to end this comment....except to say you're really loved by a lot of people--just enjoy it. ; )

Anonymous said...

Don't ever worry about being loved, Jeff. You are so loved by many people, beginning with your family. Isn't it just so thrilling though, to know that when each of us gets to heaven, we'll learn the depths of love, and a completeness of unconditional love, that our minds could never comprehend on earth.

God loves you and we love you too.

Anonymous said...

Jeff, the secret for all of us in learning to love people, as they are, for only the sake of love is this.

The Bible says "man looks on the outward appearance, but God looks on the heart" 1 Samuel 16:7 When we learn not to withhold genuine love because of what is on the outside (how someone looks, what they say, how much they give us what we want, whether we agree with their philosophies, their politics, or whatever) and look to the inside of each human being, at their heart, we can truly begin to spread God's love.

If, when we approach someone, or they approach us, we can look inside at their heart, we'll see that all are created by God, with a need to know God, and a need to see God through the loving eyes of people.

The reason you are loved by many people, is that you know how to give love.

HesyCat said...

Friendships appear to be based upon what you have to offer other people. As a pastor you have allot to offer others. So it makes sense.

Anonymous said...

As a pastor you must put yourself on the line daily, and so you worry. People will respond to your heart and the spirit within. If they don't like you, then they don't like God, they who love God will love you, because you are a part of God.

Anonymous said...

You are just a good guy . . . plain and simple . . . real, sincere, humble . . . you are what you are you don't try to be anything you aren't . . . does that even make sense?? Sounds like a Dr. Seuss book . . . and that's what makes us love you.