Saturday, September 22, 2012

my knee

Several have asked what is going on with my knee.  Well, me and my knee have 55 years of history together.  The first 21 were very good.  The last 34 have been touch and go.

I hurt my knee when I was 21, playing intramural football in college.  I went out for a pass, dove to catch it, and was landed upon by the defender, who later became my room mate and dear friend.  In that encounter I am sure that cartilage was torn.  I ended up at the hospital.  They told me that they could cut me from mid calf to mid thigh, but that I was so young, they wanted to give me some time to see if it healed.  Arthoscopic surgery did not exist back in the dark ages.

Well, it did heal, sort of.  It has never been right.  I have hurt it several times over the years.  Several times in softball, and several times painting the house.  Five years ago I had it scoped.  They told me then that if I came back to them, they would want to replace the knee.

So, it has been so long since I hurt it, and I have been feeling so good, I totally forgot how fragile it is.  When I was on my reading week in the California redwoods a month ago, I decided to exercise every day.  So I got up early and ran every day.  It felt great.  Until I woke up on the 4th day and my knee was as big as a watermelon. 

I have been on steroids to keep the swelling down.  I have been icing it. It is feeling better.  I know that I did not hurt it, I just aggravated it.  So, all is well, it is feeling better every day.  And now you know, the rest of the story.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a relief to know the real story. When you said it was from an old football injury, we thought a cheer leader kicked you.

Seriously, knee pain is not funny and we wish you whatever relief you can get, when it flares up.