Saturday, January 4, 2014

search and rescue

Poor old Lou is having a bad time.  He is failing in health and is totally blind.  I let him out to do his business the other night.  There was an inch of snow on the ground.  I turned my back for a moment and he was gone.  I called him and looked a bit, but he had bolted.  Surely off chasing [blindly] the smell of some deer, raccoon or antelope.

It was really cold.  I went back inside and got my cold weather gear.  Freezing cold, pitch black of the night, I am going to find this dog.  Heaviest gloves, heaviest coat, Russian hat, hood, boots, all zipped up tight.  My best flashlight.

Off I went on the search.  I tracked him like an Indian.  I followed his little footsteps in the moonlit snow.  Across our yard, across Cooks, across John's, into John's backyard and into the woods.  I am calling him and it occurs to me- how do you see a black dog on a black night?

I was about to give up and then he just appeared.  Boom.  There he was.  I think he was glad to find me.  I was probably more worried about it than he was.  He didn't even know that he was lost.  He is back home now and resting safely, but he did make me a little nervous.  We sure love our pets don't we?

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh what a great story. When God give someone like Jeff a compassionate heart, that compassion comes from deep within and extends itself to all things God created.

In a society that sometimes regards elderly people as irrelevant, I would hope that any younger people who might read your blog realize that you care just as much for poor old Lou when he's old and has challenges, as you did when he was a new frolicking puppy (if you had him then.) If so, you probably couldn't have caught up with him in the dark like you did now (especially at your age..ha.)

God bless Lou. God bless you.