Tuesday, January 14, 2014

who will remember

Who played in the Fiesta Bowl this year?  Baylor and UCF.  Other than those players and fans, who will remember in ten years?  Heck, who played in the Fiesta Bowl last year?  We don't remember.  It's just a football game.  Who sponsors the Fiesta Bowl?  Umm.  Hmm.  Tostitos.  Did you know that?  Who cares.  It doesn't matter.  It's just a football game.

And so I think the Chiefs played the Colts a few days ago.  Ouch.  OUCH!  I would like to tell you that no one will remember that.  Except I do remember.  I remember the Superbowl victory when I was 13 years old.  [I won $5 from Eddie Buller on the game] I remember Jan Stenerude missing multiple field goals in 1971.  I remember a lot of painful Chief moments. 

Being a Chiefs fan is like loving a person who will not love you back.  It is such a jilting thing.  Who will remember?  I probably will.  But I have to keep reminding myself, it is only a football game.  It is only a game.  A game.

On the other hand, we who follow Christ are engaged in life.  Real life.  There are so many things out there that are so much more important than football.  Let's keep our eyes on the ball.  God is good and He never lets us down.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: