Friday, October 2, 2015

baseball memories

I was thinking about baseball the other day....... imagine that!!

I was thinking about my first memories of baseball.  I got to go to a game at the old municipal stadium with my mother.  The Kansas City Athletics.  The "A's" The mascot: Charlie O the mule.  Catfish Hunter was my favorite player.  Charles Finley the owner who took the team to Oakland. Boo.

Then no baseball for years.




Then we got the Royals.  It was the spring of 1969 and I remember listening to the games on my transistor radio at night.  I was not allowed to take the radio to bed, but I did it anyway.  It had an earphone with one earpiece.  It was so much fun to listen to the games in bed.  I always fell asleep and in the morning the battery would be dead.  Mom never understood why I went through so many batteries.

Good memories.  Today, we watch baseball on HD tv sets.  And it is all very exciting.  I love baseball and I am happy for the Royals.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeff, do you remember the 99 year old man who died this past week, who was the parking guru with these old teams and the new?

Now if you have any Mom's Apple Pie memories (or we'll allow you Grandma's Apple Pie memories) you'll have this Americana thing covered. I sure wish life was simpler like it was back in the days of the downtown stadium. Everyone seemed to not be so angry, and got along better. Life seemed good. Glad you have these fond memories.

The thing I remember about going to the old stadium, is hearing the worship/music going on sometimes from churches across from the stadium. Loved it.