Wednesday, October 28, 2015

conservative or liberal

I don't like these labels.  When we speak of conservatives and liberals our language is polarizing.  Most of the people that I know, including myself are not classic cases of either extreme.  Most people that I know think a few things that would make both sides uncomfortable.

I was talking to another minister the other day and he was explaining to me that many in his congregation expect him to be liberal because he is a Methodist minister.  He did not understand that.  I am not sure that I do either.  Methodists come in all colors and sizes.  We have every variety of people in our church and I want to keep them all together.  Jesus kept all kinds together.

How about we talk less about what separates us and talk more about what unites us.  If we can all get behind loving God and loving others, then who needs the labels?  Life is too short for talk that divides us.  Come on people now, smile on each other everybody get together start to love one another right now.  [smile if you hear the song lyrics there...]

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff, in your blog posts you continually teach a productive, beneficial side of "conservative" "liberal"

Conservative with criticism and Liberal with love.

Thanks teach'

Anonymous said...

Struggling with these labels as I talk to my adult children. Thanks for some words of wisdom.