Wednesday, April 12, 2017

shhh!! pt. 2

Last week I posted on the value of quiet.  Silence is a spiritual discipline.

In response to that post, my friend Margaret Lightfoot replied, "if there is constant talk or tv, one can not hear the birds sing."

Well said.  It's not just that we can't hear others when we are talking, we can't hear the basic message that God has infused in all creation.

 I should probably listen more.  Pat Stark tells me that is why we have one mouth and two ears.
Can I hear the birds sing?  Not if I am talking.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Nancy B. said...

"We should all know this: that listening, not talking,
is the gifted and great role, and the imaginative role.
And the true listener is much more beloved, magnetic
than the talker, and he is more effective and learns more and
does more good."

From The Art of Listening.