Tuesday, April 4, 2017

the rule of three

So I was talking with my buddy Bob Tuttle about quoting people in your sermons.  When do you quote someone?  When do you ignore the fact that you are using some of their stuff?

We talked about how there is nothing new under the sun.  No new ideas.  We talked about how for every idea that you throw out, there are five people that you could probably attribute the idea to.

He told me a story.  He and a friend would sit in lectures and in continuing education events.  When they heard something good, one would look at the other and hold up three fingers.

The three fingers were a sign.  Three days.....
Day one:  I quote the person who said it.  As Bill Smith has said.....
Day two:  I make it generic.... as someone said.
Day three... I make it mine.... as I have said.

And so you see that it is possible to make an idea your own in three short days.

some things that I have always said......

1. Those who say, don't know.  those who know, don't have to say.
2.  Everything is spiritual.
3. No one knows.

Take a great idea and make it your own.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: