Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Paris Normandy Day 3

Today was a very emotional day for sure.
We visited the American Cemetery, Omaha Beach, part of the German defensive positions, and one of the ports where men and material were unloaded after D-Day.

Omaha Beach.  Once the soldiers landed, they had
to cover 200 yards of open beach while under enemy fire.
It seems odd that children are playing on this beach,
but that is what the soldiers were fighting for.  The
freedom to live.


Once they crossed the beach, they came up
against high cliffs with gun emplacements.


One of the german gun batteries.  Original gun still in place.
Once past the beach and the cliff, the fields of France
were fought for one at a time.  As we drove through
the countryside, I thought about the young men
who risked their lives, moving from field to field in a foreign land.


At the town of Arromanches large concrete barges were sunk
by the allies to make an artificial port.  Many of the barriers are
still  there to see today.  The movement of men and material
into France was so important to the war effort.

Crosses at the American Cemetery overlooking Omaha Beach.


Let us not forget that each cross has a name on it.
I took this video at the cemetery.



I shed more tears today than I have in a long time. I am crying as I write this.  This trip has always been on my bucket list.  My Dad never got to make this trip, but I talked with him today on the beach.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - -

I am leading a trip to Ireland next year. If you are interested in reading about it, or joining in, the link is below.....

Treasures of Ireland
July 13-22, 2020

No comments: