Thursday, January 23, 2020

3 buckets

As we are  in the middle of the craziness in the UMC, I have tried to offer some thoughts, and I have received some very good thoughts from many of you...

My friend Bill wrote to me about the blog post... "Not all scripture is the same." 

Bill wrote about the concept the all scripture falls into three buckets....
1) timeless word of God for all times
 2) timeless for only then 
3) not timeless for any time! 
Most believe this, but not everyone's buckets look the same....thus the challenge and the craziness! 

And I would comment on this with a couple of examples....
"God so loved the world"  goes in the timeless for all times bucket
"slaves obey your masters"  goes in the timeless for only then bucket
"eating your children if your city is under siege" goes in the not timeless anytime bucket.

As Bill points out, people have different opinions about which scriptures go into which buckets.  Some churches put "women should not speak in church" in the timeless for all times bucket.
I don't

Each of us need to look at the scriptures and decide for ourselves which bucket that they go into.  I would encourage you to make your bucket selections based on love.  Is it loving to not allow women to speak?  No.  Is it loving to exclude various groups of people?  I don't think so.

Look into your heart of hearts and make your understanding and weighing of scripture based on love.
Why would anyone use any other measuring stick?

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.


No comments: