Tuesday, January 21, 2020

the blue slide

I was visiting one of my friends in Kansas City.  As I was leaving their home I saw this nice blue slide coming down off of a neighbor's deck. I thought, man do these modern kids have really cool things. Blue slides. Disney Cruises. Happy meals. Fall protection.

When I was a kid we had monkey bars on the playground. The fall protection was asphalt. McDonalds still listed how many burgers they had served. Disney cruise? Ha ha. When I was a kid the Titanic sank.

Really though, I had one laundry basket full of toys. My bike was a hand me down from my sister [a girl’s bike]. It had had hard rubber tires. There was one TV in the house and it did not have a remote. There was one toilet in the house and it was shared by 5 people. [not simultaneously]

My kids on the other hand, had playrooms... entire rooms to hold their toys. They had a tv and a computer in their rooms. The house on Oaks Ridge lane had 5 toilets that were shared by 5 people.

My parents did what they could for us. Sometimes I wonder if we have done too much for our children. Maybe some day my kids will write a blog about how they grew up in a house with only 5 toilets…

Now what is the point of this story... we have so much... we should be willing to give more to others.  May God increase our generosity.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: