Monday, January 13, 2020

Hate the sin


The other day I was watching a video in Sunday
School and the author [while talking about accepting people] said, "hate the sin, love the sinner."

Can I speak freely?
thanks.
here goes... I hate that phrase.

It may work ok in the case of a murderer.  I can hate murder but love a murderer.

But for most "sins" it becomes very problematic.
Love the sinner hate the sin is a cute little phrase that some Christians use.  Why?  It sounds kind of righteous... or does it sound self-righteous???  Hating sin is good, loving people is good.  But when you put that all together it never goes well.

Imagine my attitude toward you if I love you.
Now imagine my attitude if I love you but hate your sin.
When we judge someone's behavior, it always comes out in subtle ways.
It becomes love with a little bit of shame thrown in just for fun.

There are other problems with the phrase.
If I believe in love the sinner hate the sin, am I saying I have no sin?  No, I am just focusing on your sin and not mine.

And there is another huge issue with the phrase.  Who made me God to point out the sinners?  Don't I have enough of my own sins to worry about?

It is our job to love, welcome and accept people.  It is God's job to help people with their sins.  Let's stop playing God and focus instead on being the best human that we can.

It is a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.



- - - - - -
I am leading a trip to Ireland in July this year. If you are interested in reading about it, or joining in, the link is below.....

Treasures of Ireland
July 13-22, 2020

No comments: