Saturday, January 11, 2020

tipping at the hotel

Recently my wife and I spent a couple of nights in Orlando and went to Epcot Center.  Since she had come from work in Tampa and I had come from Vero Beach, we had two cars there.  On the last day she got up early and left to go home.  I slept in and stayed a bit to type some blogs.  [like this one.]

I am packing up and getting ready to leave.  I put the keys on the table.  I look in my wallet for tip money for the maid.  All I have is a $10 bill.  This is more than I usually would leave.  Usually I would leave $2-3.  I decide that I just won't leave a tip this time.  I feel bad about that but I am not leaving $10.

About that time there is a knock at the door.  Knock knock, who's there?  The maid, wanting to know if I was still here.  She had come to clean the room.

And so I meet her face to face.  She is no longer just an abstract idea in my mind that I might leave a tip for, she is a real person.  She is short, about 4' 10'  probably from Jamaica based on her accent.  She is my age at least.  She asks me when I will be leaving, I ask her if she is the maid.  She agrees to come back later.

Now my decision on whether or not to leave the $10 is influenced by the fact that I have actually met the person in person and seen a bit of her life situation.  I grabbed my wallet and gave her the $10.  I should have left it anyway but it is amazing how when we take a moment to actually engage with a human being, our feelings about them change.  They become real, they become more valuable to us.

I hope that in the future I will just be nice to people even if I don't see them.  Everyone appreciates kindness, and I should give them kindness whether I know them or not.

Shouldn't we all.

It is a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

- - - - - -
I am leading a trip to Ireland in July this year. If you are interested in reading about it, or joining in, the link is below.....

Treasures of Ireland
July 13-22, 2020

No comments: