Friday, February 28, 2020

confession is good for the soul


Today I got a new look at a Catholic tradition. I talked with a man who was raised Catholic, and asked him to speak about his experience with the practice of confession.

He recounted the story of the curtain in the temple being torn during the crucifixion. He understood we no longer needed a priest or an intercessory to connect with God.

Then he reminisced that as a youth he would walk away from confession feeling renewed,  and free from what had been weighing on him. Cleansed to move forward wherever life lead him. He said somehow hearing the words spoken that his sins were forgiven, was comforting.  [Isn't that the truth!]

As ambassadors for Christ, each of us has the power to offer comfort. The power to forgive each other – to release one another - and move forward into life with renewed freedom.

There are occasions I would appreciate hearing the words spoken. “Whatever grievances I am holding against you I wish to release, and move forward."  Or better yet - maybe I could speak those words to someone else.

Confession is good for the soul.
Repentance is also good for the soul.

from my friend Terry.  Printed with permission.
PS:  The Bible is not a hammer.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com
- - - - - - - -

I am leading a trip to Ireland in July... If you are interested in reading about it, or joining in, the link is below.....

Treasures of Ireland
July 13-22, 2020
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/ir20071320a17768#eotours 

No comments: