Thursday, February 13, 2020

Donna's life

We only had one phone in the house when I was growing up, and my brother and I were only allowed to use it for a total of 15 minutes each evening when talking to our friends🤨. Our dog was not allowed in the house, and he never saw a groomer nor had his teeth cleaned (no wonder he just up and left one day without a word). For years we ate dinner together at the kitchen table until Mom bought TV trays so we could all eat in the living room and Dad could watch the news (on our only TV). My brother and I were very quiet so Dad didn’t miss anything he might want to hear 🤫. We were never deprived of anything we needed, and I never expected to get everything I wanted, but there were lots of times I wished that I could have heard more praise. I knew I was loved, I just never felt valued. We were kids, and in our house kids had no worthwhile input into family decisions, nor were our opinions sought. Dad could snap his fingers in a completely crowded room and I heard it! Mom had a ”look” that could freeze us in mid air and we knew it was in our best interest to freeze! I have never set out to be a trouble maker and often felt that their heavy handed ways were unnecessary (I think “Harmony” would have been an appropriate name for me given my personality).

Anyway, we survived and were given the opportunity to do things with our kids that we were certain were better than the parenting we “suffered” through. Hopefully that is true, in spite of the fact that we made our own mistakes and are now watching the results our children’s parenting through our grandchildren.

You say this all the time, and it is so true. Love one another......just Love. Nothing creates an atmosphere for harmony and unity and cooperation and good will better than Love. Love covers a multitude of sins.......and Love can heal. The decisions I make today are frequently based on not wanting to repeat hurts from the past. I want to be a person whose hair trigger response to others is Love, or at least be pointing in that direction because I know I haven’t accomplished that goal yet and will be forever striving after it. Unconditional Love that affirms and builds up....the kind my heart longed for growing up and still longs for now....that’s what is needed. Maybe that kind of Love can only be realized through a close relationship with our wonderful Lord. If so, will anything from the past that hurt and scarred continue to hold me in its power? Will I continue to expect others to fulfill for me what only God has the power to give? I wonder......

From my friend Donna, printed with permission.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com
- - - - - - - -

I am leading a trip to Ireland next year. If you are interested in reading about it, or joining in, the link is below.....

Treasures of Ireland
July 13-22, 2020
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/ir20071320a17768#eotours




No comments: