Saturday, September 24, 2022

Hurricane Prep

 Several have asked in the last few days, what do we do for hurricane prep.  And as they watch the news, they wonder if the latest storm is a threat to us.

Well, first of all, you know that the news likes to sensationalize everything.  If they say it will snow a foot, it snows 1/4 of an inch.

The storm that we are currently following now, Ian, is only a storm.  It is not yet even a hurricane.

At any rate, I have begun preliminary hurricane prep.  I have filled all of my gas cans with premium gas [this is what the generator runs on.]  I used to have big 5 gallon gas cans, but I realized pretty quickly that they get too heavy for me to work with.

We have 15 gallons of rec fuel in the garage in cans and then the cars are all filled up as well.  We have a siphon hose to take gas from the cars if need be.  In case of loss of power, we should have plenty of gas to keep the generator going.

Other hurricane prep... I make sure the flashlights work and get them out and available.  If we were really worried, I would put up the hurricane shutters.  At this point we are not putting them up for Ian.

I make sure that we have lots of cases of water and general food items.  We have two extra propane tanks so that we can cook on the grill after the storm passes.

Nails for tarps if ever needed.

In case a storm is really bad and we lose some shingles, we have in our garage a number of very large tarps and the kind of nails needed to hold them down.  We hope that they are never needed.

All furniture on the pool deck goes inside.  All pictures, anything that is not tied down, goes inside.  The doors come off of the screened in porch to help neutralize the pressure against the lanai.

The other thing that I do is to make sure that my neighbors know that I am available to help them if need be.

And then now, all prepared, all snuggled safely in the house, we watch the news and wait.

Hurricane prep 101!!!

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: